Sleep is essential to living a happy, healthy and balanced life. In fact, the human body can function far better without food for a few days than it can without sleep.
Insomnia or sleep deprivation is a pervasive problem that can lead to serious physical and emotional issues. Sleep deprivation can cause daytime drowsiness, poor concentration, and irritability. Over time it can lead to problems such as high blood pressure, weight gain, diabetes, depression, anxiety, and impaired immune functioning.
Millions have turned to prescription medicines or other substances to sleep better. However, these medications are not without their own side-effects. Some can be addictive, lose effectiveness over time, or interact badly with other medications.
The good news is this: a restful night's sleep is absolutely possible without the aid of medications. Medical studies have shown that a mindfulness-based treatment program can be as effective as medications and can also result in a more natural, restorative sleep over time.
In this 6-week ONLINE class, we will cover:
- The importance of sleep and good sleep hygiene
- Tips for avoiding some of the most common issues that interfere with sleep
- Current best practices for coping with wakefulness
- Breathing techniques to induce calm and sleepiness
- The link between looping thoughts/rumination and the activation of the "fight or flight" part of the nervous system
- Progressive relaxation exercises
Dates: February 19th and 26th
March, 5th, 12, 19th and 26th
Early Bird Registration: $199 on or before February 5th