Beginning November 1, 2017
Week 1 Introduction to Mindfulness and Breath Meditation
- What is Mindfulness?
- What are the benefits of practice?
- Where do we begin?
- Formal and Informal practice.
Week 2 Mindfulness of the Body and the Body Scan Meditation
- Establishing a practice
- Why focus on the body?
- What about persistent thoughts?
- The body scan meditation.
Week 3 Mindfulness of Feelings
- How to work with feelings and emotions
- Using RAIN as a tool (Recognize, Allow, Investigate, Nourish)
- Meditation on being with strong emotions
Week 4 The Stress Response, and Walking Meditation
- The stress response
- The negativity bias
- How to down regulate when triggered
- Walking meditation
Week 5 Lovingkindness and Compassion Practices
- What are these practices?
- What are their benefits?
- Lovingkindness meditation
- Formal and informal ways of cultivating kindness and compassion
Week 6 Continuing your practice
- Support for a long term practice
- Bringing mindfulness to our relationships
- Healthy habits
Barbara Burggraaff, MD, is a physician and certified mindfulness facilitator with the Engaged Mindfulness Institute (EMI).
Mary Linda McBride, MA, is a certified EMI mindfulness facilitator, qualified MBSR instructor and yoga teacher.
We will be hosting the classes using Zoom. This helps us to create a live interactive classroom experience without ever having to leave home. You will be able to see and have discussions with the instructors as well as the other participants. Our students have found this community type environment very supportive in beginning a mindfulness practice.
All you need to join a Zoom meeting, is a computer with a web cam and an internet connection. You do NOT need to set up an account or anything else ahead of the scheduled meeting. We email you a link ahead of time and you just click on the link to join the meeting. If you have to miss a meeting for any reason, we will be taping the sessions and you can request the video.
We look forward to seeing you!